Saturday 5 November 2011

Adapting or acclimatizing can take a considerable amount of time – especially if one is going through a major change. When I moved to Canada a little over a year ago, there were numerous things I had to get used to, from different phone number formats and postal codes to university forms and regulations.

I didn’t really have problems getting used to most of these customs as most of them are somewhat similar to the ones in Germany. As long as you’re open to change, trying to understand it and, as in my case, initiated it yourself, it is easier to deal with certain changes and customs.

Some are positive, too: Even though I had heard about the Canadian politeness before but I’m still amazed how many random people actually hold doors open for strangers, at least in Nova Scotia.
There is only thing I still haven’t quite got used to. Back home, every price tag includes tax, whether it’s bread or a car. Before I moved to Halifax I was under the impression that especially computers and other electronics were a lot cheaper than in Germany, it turns out that was because of the non-included tax. I had some discussions with other international students and we agreed that the system is confusing.

I’ve heard Canadians of all ages say the same thing: “This piece of furniture was only $100!” I always wondered about that, as the real price must have been $115, at least in Nova Scotia. Personally, I don’t care what something costs before tax – everyone has to pay tax and in the end, to me, it’s what’s missing in my wallet that counts.

I realize though, that that’s probably just what Canadians are used to – or I’m not (quite yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment