Saturday 22 October 2011

Halifax wins $25 billion contract


I wanted to write about this earlier, but studying and midterms kept me from it – just like everyone else at the Mount this time of the year it seems.
So Irving Shipbuilding got the $25 billion contract to build naval ships for the Canadian military. 25 billion, that’s 25,000 million – an incredibly large number. Although I’ve only moved here a little over a year ago, I think I have a very good idea of what this number means for Nova Scotia.
My hometown is very much like the province: Very small, only a limited number of inhabitants and running a deficit every year. It also has much of the same infrastructure and ship builders, that were very successful until the 1990s.
Some might argue that the money could have been spent elsewhere but the fact that the navy will have to decommission the old ships remains. What a great opportunity for Nova Scotia, the contract will basically provide job security for a whole generation of workers at the ship yard and the money will trickle down to other businesses and as taxes back to the province.

No comments:

Post a Comment